Monday, June 1, 2020

Yesterday I drew my gun. I stopped a stabbing.


I still can’t believe this happened but I’m glad my family is okay. It still doesn’t feel real.My wife and I sat down at our kitchen table to walk through everything she should know about her first gun purchase(I’m still shocked she bought one). Because I am a strict on safety, I put all the ammo and my carry gun in the other room. After a few minutes we started hearing yelling outside our apartment. She shushed me to listen as the yelling got louder and we started hearing a man yelling to “Help” and “Stop”. At that point I peaked out the front door and heard the commotion coming from the stairs. I stepped out and saw two guys in a scuffle, one stabbing the other. I didn’t recognize either but I yelled to “Get the fuck off of him”. Nothing happened so I ran back to my house and yelled that I was getting a gun, hoping to scare him off. As I’m running through the house I tell my wife to call the cops and that someone is being stabbed.I pulled my LCP2 from the holster after I get out the front door and pointed it over the railing at the attacker. I think I yelled something but I’m not sure what. The attacker immediately let go and started running. Another neighbor came out and started looking at the wounds. He said he was an EMT so I let him handle it and we just waited for the police/medics to show up. It was all over in less than a minute, I think. The cops were there about 6 minutes later(based on how long we were on the phone with them).Takeaways: - I knew eyewitnesses were unreliable but I didn’t realize how bad. I remember setting down the holster on the ground as I drew my weapon but I don’t remember what happened after I aimed at the attacker. In my memory, he was just gone after that.My finger was never on the trigger. I always train my draw to have my finger on the frame above the trigger. I’ve thought that if I don’t put it on the trigger immediately, I can’t accidentally fire on someone that has stopped being a threat. It worked out in this case but I’d love to hear some opinions on this because I’m really doubting myself.I really don’t know if I could have done it. I’m glad I stepped in but I keep thinking about what would have happened if a show of force wasn’t enough. I don’t know if I want to go through the mental stress and potential liability that comes with a DGU to protect a random person I’ve never seen. I can’t stop thinking about this.We need to fucking move. The cops get called to this neighborhood way too much and we didn’t learn that before we were here. Don’t be deceived by a nice walkthrough and new appliances.I’ve never been so jittery in my life. My handwriting on the police report was terrible because of it. I wanted to be alone to decompress but that didn’t help much. I can’t imagine actually firing and then just having to go back to your normal day.TL;DR I aimed my gun at a man to stop a stabbing. He ran but I’m not sure if I could have shot him if he didn’t. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3chT1eY

No comments:

Post a Comment