Tuesday, June 30, 2020

When can you use lethal force to defend your property?

I hope this is the right place for this, I have searched Reddit for an appropriate venue.

The couple in St. Louis has gotten me thinking of scenarios and I realize they were already on private property due to being in a gated community so I am not asking about their particular situation. I know the rules vary wildly from state to state so I am not asking for a blanket answer for the entire U.S. either. Here is my question and I would love any simple answers people may know especially as they apply to castle-doctrine states, so here goes:

If you have a large mob on a public street and they are carrying molotovs or other sufficient means as to destroy your home or business or other property, how aggressive do they have to get before you engage? Do you have to wait until they have thrown the molotov to shoot? (At which point it's too late) And if so, now that they're unarmed and no-longer in possession of a weapon is it even still legal to engage them? Do you have to time it when they are winding up for a throw? I have searched for an answer to this in forums and several other places and am still at a loss.

My libertarian side has no problem with armed protestors, but certain weapons don't lend themselves to allowing defense of property. It bothers me that law abiding citizens have ROE but protestors don't.



Submitted June 30, 2020 at 03:27PM by Tacoshortage https://ift.tt/38hWqKc

No comments:

Post a Comment