Friday, November 22, 2019

Situational awareness


One night last week, I was using my truck to help my girlfriend and her friend move some things. We showed up to her house to unload and I parked on the street. I left the truck running as it was cold, this was a quiet street in a safe part of town, and I didn't foresee us taking more than a few minutes.However, as I stepped around to the rear of my truck and dropped the tailgate, I noticed a man walking on the opposite sidewalk who kept glancing at me and looking back as he continued down the street. I went to unload as I kept an eye on the guy.When he got about 75 yards down the street, I watched him quickly dart into the bushes in front of a church. I'm not sure whether he really had to take a leak or was going to wait to steal my truck, but I decided to turn it off and put the keys in my pocket. I unloaded things and asked my girlfriend and her friend take them inside so I could continue watching the guy.5-10 minutes later, I saw him reemerge from the bushes and continue down the street away from us. While I'm not sure what his intentions were, if I hadn't noticed him then my truck could have been stolen or, worse, I could have had a confrontation with the guy while I was carrying.Lessons learned: don't let my guard down just because I think I'm in a safe part of town, and always secure my vehicle. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2OaF8Gz

No comments:

Post a Comment