Monday, November 25, 2019

Gun owners with teenagers/young adult kids...


Hi r/CCW,I'm a gun owner in my early 20s, so this topic isn't relevant to me just yet. But a conversation earlier today with my fiancee got me thinking.....Those of you with older children- anywhere from high school to college-aged- do your kids know where your guns are stored? Do they know how to access your guns in case of an emergency, and how to use them (ex.- home invasion while they are home alone)?At first I thought "sure, why not" when my fiancee brought this up- but the more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure. I went to high school with a girl who seemed perfectly normal- super nice and popular, great family life, seemed like she had a great future ahead of herself. She killed herself one morning while her parents were getting ready for work- she knew where the family kept their firearms & had access to them. She left a note indicating that she apparently secretly suffered from severe depression.cOstensibly this tragedy could've been prevented if she was unable to access guns. The same argument could be made for school shootings, etc- though one could counter-argue that she likely would've just chosen another method to end her life if no guns were available.On one hand, I feel like teenagers who are responsible & mature enough to understand how and when to appropriately use a gun should have access in case of emergencies. On the other hand- it seems like the risk of access to guns for people this age FAR outweighs the possibility that some kind of home invasion or self-defense situation would ever happen.What do you think? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2KSWTby

No comments:

Post a Comment