Friday, November 1, 2019

Pro's and Con's of Personal Body Camera


I was curious if anyone has really put any thought in the implementation of a personal body camera while carrying, and what the pro's and con's would be. There are a lot of cheap and convenient body cam out there these days. It doesn't necessarily be a body cam similar to what LEO's wear, but you can easily find camera's that you can clip directly to a shirt pocket or belt buckle that would be pretty undetectable, needless to say there are a lot of options. There are cameras that are built into glasses, hats, and even pen's if you really wanted to get all James Bond about it. I have heard of some simply using their cellphones in their shirt pocket, but typically only wear t-shirts so this wouldn't work for myself.I do have a fairly nice dash cam that I installed in case of an accident, encounters with road rage drivers, or to document contact made with law enforcement. It has built in GPS to document my location while recording, as well as my estimated travel speed (which is fairly accurate and has gotten me out of a speeding ticket).I know there are obvious advantages of having a personal body camera in a DGU situation that can help in proving that your actions were justified. Mostly, due to the fact that eyewitness testimony is typically dog shit, or in the event it is your word against someone elses.I think body cams would also be a great way to document your actions in the event someone makes a false police report. I have read many other posts where an anti-gun citizen feel the need to file a false police report to get carriers in trouble (possibly killed, but I don't think they realize this most of the time). Example #1 It would also be great to be able to have to document LE encounters, as my dash cam would only record what is seen from within my vehicle, or audio if fairly close or within the vehicle.But in the event that you ever did have use your weapon in a defensive situation, would the body cam footage be something that could work against you in a court of law, and would this outweigh your decision to wear one? I don't think it should work against you given that you had a good enough reason to draw your firearm, and had to decide to defend yourself. But even if it is justified in the eyes of the law, I would be surprised if the footage was not scrutinized by a jury of your peers and could work against you. Everyone has an opinion on timing, de-escalation tactics, ability to retreat, when the firearm should be drawn, and the actions you decide to take even if it is justified self defense.But just curious what everyone else thinks, or if they have had considered a body cam before. Not entirely sure, but in the event of a DGU situation, I am sure that your body cam footage would be apprehended from you and held as evidence at the scene by responding LE. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/34lcXKf

No comments:

Post a Comment