Sunday, May 5, 2019

Quick amateur review of Sig Sauer Elite V-Crown and Federal Train and Protect


I spent some time today working to figure out which new self defense ammo I'll carry. I practiced with the Sig Sauer Elite V-Crown 124gr and the Federal Train and Protect 115gr. Both in 9mm.The Sig ammo I purchased because I was out of my previous ammo and wanted something new. I was slightly more accurate with this than the Federal but that could be due to the lighter ammo. It also had one failure to feed which slightly concerns me. The ammo looked clean and polished. That might not matter to some but details are important to me. Weirdly, this ammo punched the paper differently. All the previous ammo I've shot seems to punch through the paper, leaving rips and tears. This one cut a fairly perfect circle just about every time. Not sure how that would reflect on penetration but I liked it. The hole on top of the round was noticeably larger than the Federal. I liked this as well.I picked up two boxes of Federal Train and Protect primarily because of the price. More shooting for half the price is where it's at in my book. Accuracy with it wasn't as good but it's off by less than an eighth of an inch when aiming for the same spot with both ammo. This ammo was dirty from top to bottom. I guess this is where they saved money. The hollow point was smaller. I'm not sure how that affects penetration but I would assume larger is better.Overall, they both worked well for me. I liked the Sig Sauer primarily because I can get it in 124gr. However, the price of the Federal allows me stock up and practice more without hurting the wallet too terribly. As of now, I'll go with Federal Train and Protect but will continue trying out more ammo. I still want to try Federal Hst.Here are a couple pics for those interested: http://bit.ly/2VK4nEs via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2LzcCz0

No comments:

Post a Comment