Sunday, May 5, 2019

Putting down animals hit on the road


Here's another many probably have not considered, as I know I hadn't until it happened. Friday night heading back from a rural cafe a large doe jumped out in front of my truck. I hit her in her rear quarter, knocking her off the road. Unfortunately she was very much alive and very much critically injured.My girlfriend and I were quickly considering what to do as it's a rural highway, and I was thinking of putting her down but she suggested the legality may be an issue. Deer hunting and population is strictly controlled here. So my gf recommended we called that county sheriff's office and they dispatched a deputy.As we waited for the deputy and watched the deer suffering, gotta admit it was not pleasant. When the deputy arrived I asked him about the legality of dispatching the animal and he agreed with our thoughts - it's a very grey legal area. Summary is that if you have the means to humanely do so, call your local sheriff's office first and let them give the okay for not just deer but for any animal. Not only does that cover dispatching the animal but it also gives them a heads up for the gunshot, etc. In this instance he agreed that it would have been preferred, and would have saved him a trip - but he liked that we were being smart about it.Just thought I'd share. As this is the second animal I've had this happen with in a year I'm sure it won't be the last time, unfortunately. via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2V31CJI

No comments:

Post a Comment