Monday, August 7, 2017

Unpopular opinion about gun belts


I think a lot of beginners, or even long time carriers for that matter, get caught up on having the stiffest belt possible. Now my disclaimer is that this is only my opinion through my experience of carrying, and I've only been carrying for about 3 months now. Also I'm relatively small if this matters. 5'4" 160 lbs low body fat.I carry appendix, and when I first started out and bought all my gear I chose the Volund Gear G hook belt. It's a great belt and very stiff, but I found that for appendix carry, there exists such a thing as a belt being too stiff. I find that a very stiff belt for appendix has some drawbacks.For one, a perfectly circular belt doesn't sit right on my waist as the human torso is oval. This causes pressure points around my hips and lower mid back. Secondly, having a belt that is circular doesn't keep my gun as close to me as possible. My gun is on the outer most edge of the belt causing gaps on either side. this causes not my gun to print but the holster clip as well as the edges of the belt around my waist.So for the past few weeks I've been carrying with just a plain jane leather belt. I believe its one I picked up at walmart years ago. It's not stiff, it doesn't support itself, and it's not double thick or reinforced. It's everything the internet says a gun belt should not be. But I find that it works perfectly well for appendix carry. Since the gun is right in the center of my body, support isn't 100% necessary as it doesn't hang off to one side. I can cinch it down pretty tight, and with the pliability of the soft leather it conforms to my gun and to my body perfectly. Everything moves together with my body as I move. No more super rigid contraption around my waist hindering my movement. Everything is way more comfortable and feels more fluid, while still remaining close and tight to my body and secure.TLDR From my experience, a regular leather belt works better for AIWB carry than a super stiff gun belt. YMMV via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2vyPbNk

No comments:

Post a Comment