Monday, July 17, 2017

Gearcraft Holsters Review


Recently I acquired a Canik TP9 SF Elite, and after shooting it, I decided it was going to become my new EDC. This, however, required a holster. I was looking for something specific, an IWB all kydex holster with a claw. That's relatively easy to find for a Glock or Smith&Wesson, but much harder for the Elite. I eventually narrowed down my selection to three choices, Alex&Ryan design, Gearcraft holsters, and Dara holsters. Dara didn't come with a claw, and Alex&Ryan and Gearcraft seemed to offer the same product, but with a price difference. With a discount code and free shipping, Gearcraft came out on top.I ordered an AIWB holster with claw, and single belt clip for a 1.5in belt, in desert tan, on June 6th with a listed 20 day lead time. I already new I wanted a foam wedge to go with it, and ordered one from Mastermind Tactics. Then I waited.June 26th I emailed to see how things were going, and was informed that the lead time of 20 days was 20 business days. Okay, that one was my bad, but it's a little annoying to advertise it the way they do for it to be business days.Fast forward to July. It shipped out from Cumming Ga on July 6th, though the shipping label was created the 5th. I received the holster on July 10th.The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was how incredibly well molded the holster was. There were no rough edges, everything was smooth. There was complete trigger guard coverage, and nice mold-outs for the magazine release, making sure that it wouldn't accidentally get pressed.Then, I put it on my belt, where I noticed the first major problem, the belt clip was freaking huge. The belt is a Volund g-hook 1.5in. I measured the gap between the bottom of the belt and the bottom of the clip, it is a solid 1/2 of an inch. The overall interior space is 2in. This may not seem like a huge problem, it still grabs the belt on the draw, even though it takes it a little longer to come out. But then, I put it on my belt while I was wearing pants, and the other major problem arose, because of the location of the clip, barely any of the claw makes contact with the belt. This really inhibits the claw from working to it's full effect, as only the edge of the belt catches it, but some still does. This changes if you move, at all. I don't know if it's because of the overly large clip not keeping the holster in place, or because of the differential between the clip location and claw location, but if you move, the claw pops out from under the belt. I apologize for the blurry picture, but it's the best I could do.Well, they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so I thought I might be able to get them to send me another clip, or work something out, so I sent them a message on July 10th, and received no response. I emailed them again this week, and again received no response. Tomorrow, they get a phone call.So, looking back what should I have done? I probably should've gone with Dara and added a claw myself, or put up a little more cash and gotten the Alex and Ryan. I hate this, because the mold is so good, but there are some serious usability issues. The claw doesn't do much good just pressing against your pants, it pushes it in some, but not nearly enough. That clip is another problem, my draw isn't nearly as secure as I would like it to be, the holster moves a ways before the gun comes out.tl;dr: Great mold, but serious application and customer service issues.Edit: Added some details. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2u3NB4e

No comments:

Post a Comment