Friday, July 7, 2017

Carrying wants vs reality


I have been carrying for a while and I want to be someone that carries a compact firearm, think Glock 19 or Sig 229. So I went out and bought a 19 and 229 legion. The idea behind the legion was if I chose to carry, I should carry what in my opinion is one of the better firearms available (certainly open for debate), but I digress. I like the idea of carrying 15 or 15+1. In my mind the more rounds the better. I read a study that even cops under stress only hit the target 20% of time. Being a highly trained former member of the USAF I know I can do better than that, at least 21%! (Just kidding, point only for humor).I saw an interesting video about carrying mentality. It asked the following, Are you a level 1 carrier, meaning you carry to assist in escape and evade. Fire a couple of rounds in order to retreat . Are you a level 2, a sheepdog. One who reacts to a threat to eliminate it and actively save the lives of others. Or a level 3, citizen solider, out there looking for a fight to stop. I want to be the sheepdog and I want to bring as much firepower to a fight as I can and by firepower I mean rounds.Here's my pickle, I can't comfortably carry the 19 or the 229. At 4 o'clock strong it prints and feels uncomfortable. Queue the Ace Ventura, "your gun is digging into my hip". I have switched over to appendix. Much more comfortable but difficult to sit down. I'm not overweight but it still feels like it's riding high. I've probably dropped over a grand on holsters...leather, kydex, AlienGear (? I think that's what it's called), etc. tried different cants and riding depth.So where does that leave me today...good ole SW MP Shield in appendix leather. Feels great, no problem carrying, conceals well. The issue is I don't feel as though I'm carrying enough rounds. I carry Hornaday critical defense, but just not enough of them I feel. I can't remedy the idea of a level 2 carrier with only 8 rounds. There is a video in this sub with old man winter taking 4 to the chest and walking it off. Granted there is a good chance that old guy is a geriatric zombie, but the fact remains.I recently purchased a Springfield XD E just to get an additional round. Am I capacity obsessed? Yeah probably. But the XD E seems to be working out well.Just curious if I'm over analyzing or if anyone else has felt the same.Thanks everyone via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2sVDASX

No comments:

Post a Comment