Sunday, February 12, 2017

Hyve M&P Shield +2 Extension Review


Start of a new work week, yay! :(PicsAfter a few people on this subreddit suggested it to me, I decided to buy and try out the Hyve extension kits for my M&P Shield.One of my biggest concerns was with the weight and the length added to my gun. I carry AIWB with an extra mag, so everything is in front. If something is too thick, long, or heavy, it will stick out from the side or from the top and print, but after carrying one for the past week and having no issues, I decided to pick up another.Pros:Adds +2 to the gun, which is amazing! I would rather have the ability to carry two 10 round magazines than having to shoot 8+1, reload, shoot 8, reload, etc. With the extension I can carry 21 rounds in 2 magazines, instead of having to carry 3 magazines for 25 rounds, which I can live with. If you have just two 8 rounders for your Shield or even for a smaller Glock, I definitely recommend picking these up. I have also read that you can install the Magguts +1 to make your magazine a +3 magazine, but I live in Commiefornia so I couldn't test that out.Adds a good grip to the gun. I don't have particularly large hands or anything (in fact they are quite small and thick) but even with the 8 round magazine I always felt like I could never find a good grip on the gun. With the Hyve extension, I can get a full and comfortable grip and it feels great to hold. It is very much comparable to the grip on my full size M&P which I really like.Conceals great! It doesn't add that much length and hardly any thickness, so it conceals just fine.Looks great! I love the aluminum finish of these things and the color options they have really make your gun stand out. I've seen people with the red Apex trigger kit and the red Hyve extension and it looks fantastic! I know what my next purchase will be :)Fairly easy to install. It takes less than a minute to install this thing. The only tricky part is getting the spring in the thing and lining it up, but other than than, if you know how to take apart a magazine, it is pretty simple. They have tons of videos on their YT channel and others who have installed it as well.Cycles great! I haven't gone out to the range to shoot it yet, but just cycling ammo through my gun, it works great. No feeding issues, no jamming, etc.Ships quick! I live about 2 hours from them, so I got mine in about 3 business days, but YMMV.Cons:Adds a small bit to the length of your grip. If you are already having trouble concealing a normal Shield, then this will make it a bit more tricky to conceal. I can conceal the Shield just about anywhere, wearing anything, so adding the 1/4 inch extra wasn't that big of a deal. It doesn't add much thickness, but it is fairly long.Quite expensive. They are located in San Diego and I live about 2 hours from them, so shipping only cost me 2 bucks. That being said, my total came out to ~$32 per extension, which is more expensive than the factory 8 mags. IMO it is well worth the price. I would rather have +2 in each of my magazines than fumble with another magazine if I ever needed to. If you are looking to buy a new magazine and are interested in the Hyve, then they also sell factory mags with the extension pre-assembled for $59.99.This wasn't necessarily a problem with the Hyve, but during installation one of my springs bent into itself. I didn't even put any extra pressure on the thing. In fact, there would have been less tension on the spring because of the extension. After reading up online, this is a common issue with a certain run of the Shield magazines, so I will have to call S&W to get it replaced. It only happened with the magazine that came with the gun and not my new factory magazine I bought this year.They are quite cold in the morning. I don't like to wear an undershirt so the cold aluminum on bare skin gives me the chills in the morning.Looking to get out to the range this week to test a few hundred rounds into them, but so far they've been awesome! They are quite expensive, but hey, those 2 extra rounds could save your life right?If you're looking for an upgrade, definitely pick one of these up! I haven't had any experience with Magguts but if you want to keep the factory length magazine, then that is also an option too.I also put some rubberized Talon grips on my Shield too and they feel great! Definitely recommend that as well! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2lG9yAd

No comments:

Post a Comment