Wednesday, February 8, 2017

As an NC resident who will occasionally visit SC, what are some key CCW related laws to remember?


I live near the NC/SC border, so once my permit arrives I will occasionally be carrying in SC. I feel pretty comfortable with the NC laws, and just finished up my first full read through of the SC laws here:A few things I noticed: 1. Signs carry the force of law, but are very strict on the signage requirements. Do you SC folks often find that signs are posted in accordance with the requirements set forth in the law? I will of course be on the look out for signs as I will already be doing that in NC.In accordance with Chapter 23-31-225: "No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate."Huh. So...really? I'm assuming that means...express prior permission? And wtf does "as appropriate" cover?I think this law is well intended. But here's a situation I will almost certainly run into:We have a condo at the beach. We have family friends that also have condos at the same place. It would be common for me to be taking the elevator down or walking back up from the parking deck and have a family friend invite me inside upon seeing me, just a "hey! Come say hey for a bit."...and I'm supposed to either very awkwardly say "sure! But just to make sure, I can bring my concealed weapon in with me right?" or find an excuse to run upstairs and disarm, then come back? Or I suppose knowingly commit a misdemeanor.I am sure I am reading too much into this and it won't be as difficult as I am making it out to be, but this part of the law definitely gave me pause. Would love to hear how you SC residents have handled similar situations. Any other tips or nuances between the two states would be appreciated as well. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2kQfk4E

No comments:

Post a Comment