Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Are Hornady's 9mm critical defense polymer tip HPs better than their .380 counter-part?


I was going over some data in preparation for helping my wife select a .380 when I stumbled upon this highly informative article on ballistic tests for various .380 self defense rounds.Specifically, I noticed that Hornady's polymer tip .380 critical defense rounds got very poor penetration as well as failing to expand in some situations. Their critical defense rounds without polymer tips scored far, FAR better.I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on A. whether in their experience it is accurate that the Hornady polymer tip .380 rounds are far inferior to their polymerless counterparts, and B. whether the 9mm version suffers from the same issue.I currently carry the polymer tip 9mm self defense rounds in my own carry weapon so to say these results concern me is an understatement.Edit: after some brief research, several people have reported that the 9mm version, while not the perfect self defense round, seems to be serviceable 1, 2. So if anyone comes across this thread later with similar questions, it looks like the polymer tip rounds are fine in 9mm but not recommended in .380.Edit2: the author of the aforementioned article is apparently planning to publish a similar study on 9mm HPs so hopefully soon there will be something to compare side by side to his .380 results via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2kKFgig

No comments:

Post a Comment