Thursday, September 2, 2021

Question From a Newbie... Are Sub-4" Barrels Pointless for AIWB?


Please bear with me, as I'm new to carrying, and am trying to learn. I have been doing a lot of research on holsters lately, as I recently purchased a 3.1" Shield Plus after trying one out at the range. After reading a bunch of threads on r/CCW, I have been looking at buying a JMCK Wing Claw (2.0 or 2.5, not entirely sure at this point). However, I noticed that the only option available for my pistol is also sized for the 4" barrel version.At first, I thought that this seemed kind of like a suboptimal choice, buying a holster that is also sized for a gun with a longer barrel. Wouldn't you want your holster to be as compact as possible for your firearm? But after doing more research (especially reading the explanation of concealment mechanics on PHLster's website), I started to understand that you need a sufficient amount of holster mass below the belt so that your rig doesn't become too "top-heavy" and tip forward. Makes sense. But this led me to wonder: wouldn't it make sense also choose a pistol that fills out the necessary space in the balanced holster, instead of just adding empty holster space? Aside from the added weight from the longer slide, I am trying to understand why the increased sight radius/shootability wouldn't make the somewhat longer barrel a preferable choice for carrying AIWB.Anyways, as I mentioned before, I am new in my journey and just trying to learn. I suspect there is a high likelihood that I have overlooked something important in this analysis. Any insight is much appreciated. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3gVGjYq

No comments:

Post a Comment