Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Pulled a gun on a charging dog


This was mid-late January this year. I was walking my dog around town at night (around 7ish in Winter) and as we were passing a house I heard the sound of glass breaking. The first thought that came to mind was one of those old nickelodeon or disney movies with a big hairy dog jumping through a window to chase critters and I started running away with my dog. Coincidentally I was right and a giant mastiff mix was actually charging us from a now broken window. I pulled my gun out of my pocket and had a perfect shot, except my big heavy gloves couldn't get into the trigger guard. Around this time my dog (9 month old German Shepherd) got between me and the charging dog. He didn't really fight back and just screamed as he was bit, but it was well appreciated. I ended up throwing the gun back into my pocket (now without a holster) and ripping off the glove to grab it again. A second dog from the house ran up to us and started jumping around, but I didn't get any hostile feeling from it. As I'm trying to line up a shot without shooting into a house or my dog, the owners ran out and tried grabbing their dogs complicating the matter even more. I managed to pull my dog away while they tackled theirs and I ran off dialing 911.The sheriff showed up to my house and got my story as the dispatcher got it all wrong. He never asked for ID or permit and just said to give him a call if I take my dog to the vet (I didn't as his thick winter coat, while taking a good shredding, saved him from the worst) and he would send the bill to the other dog owner. It sounded like he knew of the dogs already, but that might be due to living in a small town.Last month a lady drove by when I was walking my dog saying that her dog, the same one that attacked us, was loose and was a friendly dog. I kept my hand on the handle of my gun during that walk.What I learned: I'd rather have cold fingers than big gloves. Even point blank aiming is difficult when moving around. Not to walk that part of town again. I've always heard to drop what is in your hand, but I did not dare drop the leash or the dogs could have ran off making a bad situation worse. I'm glad I didn't shoot. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2TEJACL

No comments:

Post a Comment