Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Does carrying a knife actually make you safer?

I live in a rough area, where I have been accosted by seedy people asking for money/drugs and followed for blocks by possibly mentally ill people shouting obscenities on more than one occasion. I have toyed with the thought of carrying a pocket knife as a means of self defense, but I'm wondering, would having a knife actually make me less likely to be hurt? Or would it increase the likelihood of escalating a situation into something much more dangerous?

On one hand, I've heard stories from friends where they were being followed, then flashed the knife, and their followers immediately backed down. But if someone who is confronting you has a knife of their own, or a different weapon like a gun, pulling out a blade could tempt them to use their weapon as well. They say the loser of a knife fight dies in the street, and the winner dies in the ambulance, so I'm certainly not looking to duel someone who is also armed. Are there any statistics that show whether knives as a deterrent make you safer? And if you're actually physically attacked on a street, would you realistically have enough time to get out your knife and use it, without having it taken from you?

I have a pretty calm demeanor, and I've been able to de-escalate situations by talking before, so I'll most likely stick to that, but I'm curious to hear what people think.



Submitted June 17, 2021 at 05:48PM by Thrwwy014 https://ift.tt/3gWzaGn

No comments:

Post a Comment