Saturday, September 12, 2020

Any recommendations for a good ccw for someone with large hands that struggles with compact or smaller guns?


I know it all boils down to feel and preference, but I was hoping to get some good recommendations for reliable pistols to try out to hopefully make up my mind. We went to my usual indoor range and their selection wasn’t great, the guns were pretty well worn and/or poorly maintained, and they just kept recommending a cheap pink micro for my fiancĂ© no matter how many times we refused.Here’s a rough ballpark of what I think we are looking for:Budget: not cheap, but not a pair of $1200 guns. I have a pair of full size sigs that I love. I’m willing to pay for quality and reliability. I figure decent ccw guns would be anywhere from $500-$800 each.Features: I prefer simple, they are ccw so we don’t need any fancy attachments, rails, etc. We both have large hands, so it’s been a struggle finding guns to fit our hands comfortably. Aftermarket grips are certainly a possibility, I put a hogue on one of my sigs and love it. Mainly we want reliability, SA/DA, and easy stripping/cleaning. We aren’t too caught up on appearance, but do not want any bright colors. Black/steel, maybe tan at most.Caliber: I’m leaning towards a .45, she’s most likely wanting 9mm. My sigs are both 9mm and I’d like a little more punch, I’ve shot 10mm and .40 and just didn’t like the feel of them, so I feel like .45 is a good fit for me. I worry about recoil control for her in a panic situation (practice I know), so that’s why I’m leaning towards 9mm for her.Size: both of us have large hands, so this has been hard. Most likely wanting compact sized for both. I’m a slender guy so wearing an inside hip holster is tough enough to conceal comfortably, but a micro gun is just not possible for me to hold. Hers is a little easier because it will be going in a purse, but her hands are almost as big as mine so a micro just doesn’t work. I’m open to other types of carry, but that seems to fit my comfort and lifestyle best.Brands: the epic struggle, I was born and raised on sig. I have shot a handful of glocks and just don’t like their feel. When we went to the range we were able to shoot the S&w shield/m&p, the beretta px4 storm, the glock 23, and the ruger American. I have a friend that loves FN but they didn’t have any, and they also didn’t have any sigs. I think the ones we liked the most of what we shot were the shield and the storm. Again, not hung up on brand, but I’ve shot half a dozen different flicks and didn’t like them, where Ive shot half a dozen sigs and they felt perfect for me.I can’t think of anything else to mention. I understand I may have to go to a different ranges to try more guns, but I’ve just been a little swamped with options and don’t want to keep going places to have them keep recommending the cute pink gun. I’d like to have 3-4 in mind, find a local range that has them, try, and buy. I am pretty decently practiced, but definitely not an expert, she is definitely new to shooting, so we are looking for good, reliable, comfortable guns. Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated, especially from people with larger hands using ‘smaller’ guns. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2ZwlaLA

No comments:

Post a Comment