Friday, July 24, 2020

Reached for and displayed my holstered firearm.


Using a throwaway computer and account due to the probability of an impending prosecution.Last Monday I was out for an evening walk around the neighborhood to try and get some last minute exercise before it got too late. There are no sidewalks where I live so I was walking against traffic as the law requires when a vehicle passed by at a disturbingly slow rate of speed to my right. The windows were very heavily tinted and I couldn't see at the time anything inside the vehicle. At first I didn't think too much about it when I saw them pass by I kept my eye on the vehicle. I thought that was it, but I saw the brake lights come on and the vehicle stop way up a head and make an abrupt three point turn and came back my direction. Again I'm thinking maybe they just forgot something and were turning around, but then they started slowing down almost 30 ft away from me again approaching very slowly. There are no houses or buildings at that point so there's no reason for any of this and the hairs on my neck were standing.By the time they started slowing to a crawl again and were about 10 ft away approaching me, I lifted up my shirt and reached for and put my hands on my holstered firearm. When I did that the vehicle came to an abrupt stop and the doors swung open. Two women it looked like were in their early 20s jumped out screaming at me that I just threatened them and went on a tirade yelling almost every profanity in the dictionary at me. My hand still on my holstered firearm and because of my adrenaline I'm screaming back asking what the hell was wrong with them and that I felt threatened. During that argument the bystander truck behind them backed up and turned around fleeing the area. I took my cell phone out and told them I was calling the police because I felt threatened, but they just stood there screaming go ahead and how I was the one that threatened them. The way they approached several times in that manner made me believe I was about to get robbed and I didn't know they were young women at the time, I saw a suspicious vehicle during almost twilight hours following me around multiple times giving pre-attack indicators and reacted. If I had waited until they were on top of me and it was an attack, I don't feel I could have defended myself without being killed, because I am not a very muscular man and don't believe I could handle a close quarters fight. Also I had only gotten my permit to carry several years ago when I turned 21.When the police showed up and took my statement and several witnesses that backed up my version of events, the officers told me they would give me a ride to my house, but were taking my firearm for evidence. I asked the officer if I did something wrong and they said this should qualify as a defensive display of a firearm, but read me my rights and recommended consulting with an attorney before giving any more statements about the incident. Did I screw up by reaching for my gun like that and allowing it to be displayed in plain view? I didn't draw the gun, I only reached for it while displaying it in its holster. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2Ef7vky

No comments:

Post a Comment