Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Should I carry the same ammo for use in a longer barrel?


Title says it all. I know there’s a lot of ammo tests showing performance for edc carry guns usually in the 3-3 1/2” barrel range and I have Speer gold dot 124+p and HST 124 gr ammo for my 9mm Shield with a 3.1” barrel.However, I just got my second pistol that will be for home defense, not entirely sure I’ll carry it yet since it has a 5” barrel and it’s huge. This is a range gun and target pistol but it will also be the bedside home defense gun. My question is, I know velocity goes up with the 2” longer barrel but does that mean I should look at other ammo that expands better at higher velocities instead of ammo optimized for shorter barrels like I carry now? Should I be looking for heavier-for-caliber ammo like 147gr gold dots maybe? Or is the opposite better? I know lighter weight ammo like 115gr usually expands earlier and has less penetration due to higher velocities. Makes me wonder what you should load up if you have a 9mm carbine for home defense!TL;DR what ammo should I carry for home defense for use in a 5 inch barrel? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2XsmTSh

No comments:

Post a Comment