Tuesday, April 7, 2020

How to react if someone spits on you, or similar?

The idea behind punching someone if self-defense is that you prevent the assailant from injuring you - is that correct?

So then it would be illegal to punch someone if they spat on your body or they grabbed your crotch or - as I saw recently on Reddit - someone throws a drink in your face. I'm sure those actions are certainly illegal and punishable, but I'm not sure you can punch someone in response to that. On the other hand, in many situations it's unlikely that the assailant will be reported and sentenced by law or the whole procedure would be so much of a hassle and expensive that you would rather dump another drink on your own head.

If I'm honest punching them and not punching feels kind of bad to me. I don't have a plan what on what to do. What would a self-defense instructor advise?


I think I once read that women who are sexually assaulted should fight back to mitigate the situation that they feel powerless in the aftermath, which could lead to psychological problems.

Would the same apply to a schoolkid that is bullied in a not-injury-threatening way? Let's say they get "wedgied". Would it be legally or morally right for them to punch the bully (if they don't have to fear retribution e.g. because they are a big, overweight boy bullied by a smaller boy or girl)?

If you don't think you will get psychological damage for feeling powerless, can you still hit someone in the situations I described in the beginning?



Submitted April 07, 2020 at 04:18PM by JohannesWurst https://ift.tt/3e5ILsb

No comments:

Post a Comment