Thursday, April 2, 2020

first time drawing my gun IRL


Out for a mid-quarantine bike ride with my daughter and my wife. My wife is on her bike and my 16month old daughter is in a trailer on mine . I am leading single file.We are on a bike trail in an area of town that is not unsafe, but is known for high population of homeless.I approach a bridge-under pass, and at about 40 yards notice men standing in my lane of the trail impeding traffic. As I’m closing, they begin to move, turning towards me and lining up shoulder to shoulder.There are three of them and they take up 75% of the entire bike path. The middle man is carrying something. They are 25 yards away. They look homeless and disheveled. .It’s a bat. He has it at his side. He does not look like hes going to play softballI stop. They continue to approach. I move my hand to my gun at 7 oclock IWB (Springfield 911 Vedder Lite Tuck). He places the bat on his shoulder, they’re within 20 yards. I draw and keep it at my side.They continue to approach. Alarm bells are ringing. The looks on their faces are wrong and they are staring at me. I move to low ready, flick off the safety, and keep the gun pointed down, ready to snap up. My booger flicker is not on the bang switch. They are 15 yards out ..I yell “Stop” and “do not come towards me with a bat”. They smile and stop. Their reaction was not congruous to the situation. They were not startled; they did not retreat.My wife is telling them to leave, and me to calm down. My daughter is asleep in the trailer.….“Back the fuck up “ I say to the men. They move off the trail and pass us by. One of them says “that’s good” in regards to my gun. Never in 10 yards of our position but definitely in gross violation of the Tueller drill.We quickly remount and ride on. I make it 200 yards and remember everything I have read on this sub. I stop and call the police. I identify and describe myself, describe the situation and ask for direction. They meet at a business back up the trail.When I am approached I keep my hands on the bike, visible, and reaffirm to the officer where my CCW is ( I told dispatch location too). They question me. They tell me I acted reasonably and broke no law. The congratulate my composure. One asks if I am ex-military. I explain that I work in emergency medicine and my threshold to externally demonstrate my inner stress is high. He laughs. He inspects my gun with approval before returning. We leave. I arrive home and chug a beer. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3aKRwGo

No comments:

Post a Comment