Friday, April 3, 2020

Are there any verifiable cases where the use of handloads in a DGU was used against somebody?


Hey guys. So I've been doing some research, and a lot of people have been saying not to carry handloads for a long time. The issues I often see brought up is as follows:​Could be used against you to show premeditation / maliceI don't see the difference between this and buying factory self defense ammunition. The intent is to have an effective means to stop a threat. Buying ammo in itself would constitute "premeditation" by this standard.Could be used against you, the classic "they made deadlier ammunition" / "it caused undue suffering" argumentI don't see how making more effective ammunition is a downside, but I'm sure somebody could spin it this way. On the other hand, factory self defense ammunition is marketed under this same idea, more deadly / effective.Could be used against you due to differing Gunshot Residue testing from factory loadsThis could be used to falsely determine you were closer / farther than you stated.​I have had some thoughts, but would love to see some input from you guys and any experts in this field.If it is a justifiable DGU, it is very unlikely for any of this to matter.Having a good lawyer is probably really important regardless of all this. These arguments seem weak and if they came up I'm sure a good lawyer could make short work of it.Keeping record of your handload batches so that it could be replicated for testing, potentially. Though this may lead more into the "premeditation" argument.Now, there are some pros, at least in my specific use case, for hand-loaded ammunition (not regarding the legal side).​My preferred carry gun is a 2.5" K frame, specifically a Model 19-4. This is the gun that I shoot more than any other I own, so it makes sense to carry it since that is what I am proficient with.I mainly shoot 158 grain bullets since that is what was originally intended for these guns. The high velocity 125 grains can cause issues cracking forcing cones and flame cutting the top strap when shooting high volumes. With 158 grain bullets there are no such issues, and I shoot at least 100 rounds a week through the gun. You can shoot some amount of 125 grains through them without an issue, but I don't make a habit out of it. You aren't getting insane velocities out of a 2.5" barrel anyways.I can carry a round that is the exact same recoil impulse and has the same point of impact as my practice rounds.It is difficult to find the optimal load in my preferred carry gun. A lot of the factory loads that utilize faster powders are marketed for snub guns, and still aren't quite where they should be for my purposes. Additionally finding a 158 grain load that is basically a light magnum is tricky. A lot of the "light magnum" loads are really more for recoil averse people.I have gotten failures from high quality factory self defense ammo, and have even gotten entire boxes that were out of spec. With a single stage press I can be absurdly OCD and make ammo that is equally reliable and more consistent than factory ammo. My failure rate on my known reliable loads has been 0% over several thousand rounds. Carry loads are made with new brass.I'm in college and already have a single stage reloading press setup. Limited budget plus all the things going on currently means save money. I can load high quality .357 hollow points optimal for my carry gun for a little under 60 cents a round.Ammunition shortage currently, but I have new brass, projectiles, powder, and primers stocked up.What are the community's and expert's thoughts on this topic? Just interested in seeing some different viewpoints and discussion on this, since I haven't seen it brought up in a while.​Thanks! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3dTyeAk

No comments:

Post a Comment