Sunday, August 4, 2019

What should I have done?


So something happened in a Walmart that’s been eating away at my thoughts for the last few weeks..It was a normal afternoon after work when I swung by Walmart to go return an item real quick, the store had a decent amount of people and quite a few fit the stereotypical “Walmart character” persona. On my way in, I was watching everyone and scanning the Supercenter for anywhere I might want to avoid getting near when I noticed someone in the self checkout with his back towards me...The man was a larger guy (at least in the 350lb range) in a baggy blue shirt and white undershirt with cargo shorts on. With his back towards me I could easily see his CCW at about the 4:30 position within the waistband. it was very noticeable due to his shirt that had ridden up completely over his hips and the black pistol and holster stood out against his white undershirt.I am a firm supporter for concealed carry and open carry is not legal in my state so seeing this made me immediately feel like I should tell him or try to draw it to his attention without it becoming an issue but I know I would have been very uncomfortable with someone approaching me from behind if I were in the same situation. Faced with the dilemma between me approaching this man in Walmart and risking confrontation with myself or continue my brief errand and both of us would be out of the Walmart within a few minutes anyways and hopefully he would fix his shirt grabbing his bags in the checkout or something if that nature...In that moment I decided to not draw attention to it because I chose to keep myself and the people I was with out of the situation entirely.As I thought about it more, I keep thinking about what could have happened if the wrong person came in and tried to grab it from behind or something along that nature... I don’t know what would have been the right thing to do because so much could have gone wrong.I feel like I should have overcome my social awkwardness and I could have taken a few minutes out of my errand to approach him directly within view where he could see me the entire time and give a polite comment of “excuse me sir, your concealed carry is showing” and then be on my way in the opposite directionDid I do the right thing? Or should I have intervened? What is the best way to deal with a situation like this if it ever happens again? The whole thing has been eating my brain away and I would love some feedback! Thank all of you via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2LZAUSp

No comments:

Post a Comment