Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Today, I shot a hole in my bathroom mirror.


Throwaway because I'm too fucking ashamed to write this post on my main account.I've owned guns for the past 11 years. I'm always a nut for safe handling. I point out when others make mistakes and I am always careful to not make mistakes myself. But, today, I failed.I've always carried my handguns in a strongside IWB holster. But I recently got a new holster for my Shield and wanted to see if I could comfortably and discreetly carry it AIWB in a t-shirt — something I've never been able to do before.So I walked into my bedroom, carefully pulled my Shield from its old holster, dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, checked it with sight and touch. All good. I put the gun in the AIWB holster and put it on. Went and looked in the bathroom mirror and I was surprised to find that it was undetectable. Cool! So let's try some practice draws and see how it feels. Spent the next 5-10 minutes getting a feel for drawing from that position and dry firing.Next, I wanted to see if it would be just as well concealed with my extended 10rd magazine. Empty mag, empty gun. Draw, click. Proceed to draw and dry fire a few more times.Decide I want to see how it feels carrying a loaded mag in this position. Go back to get my loaded magazine off my bed, insert the mag, and put it in my holster. Go back to the bathroom to see how things look. Looks good, great! Here's where I made my mistake.In some kind of moronic episode, I drew my gun again just as I had been doing for the past 15 minutes and instead of a click, I got a bang. Not only did I stupidly draw my gun with a loaded magazine, apparently out of habit, I chambered a round. I don't even remember racking the slide. I guess habit and complacence came together to converge in a very stupid and careless moment.I am so grateful that no one was hurt and that the only damaged property is my own. I honestly hate myself right now for how absent-minded and idiotic I was today. This could have ended up so much worse and I know that I am incredibly lucky despite how dumb I was.I will never again be as careless and lazy with the way I handle firearms. Ammunition will remain separate everytime I choose to handle a gun.TLDR: Today, I had my first and –without a doubt– my very last negligent discharge. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2ZEUgze

No comments:

Post a Comment