Sunday, August 4, 2019

My CCW Permit Experience


Was reading around while waiting for my CCW permit in the mail, then I stumbled upon this post so I figured I'd share my experience too.March 2019First time seriously looking at CCW permit, but at the time didn't really have any motivation but budgeted the money just in caseApril 2019While talking with some coworkers, they brought up plans for the Memorial Day weekend. I realized I forgot about the 4 day weekend. Since I had the money set aside and time to kill, I figured I could take a CCW permit class. A few places were offering, but I found one that did a 2-days, 3 hour classrooms, which included paperwork and fingerprinting, for $75.May 2019First class was mostly admin. They gave us a packet which includes all the paperwork needed and walked us through filling it out. Then double checking everything to make sure there were no mistakes.Later on the did finger printing while giving a high over view about legality of carrying and gun laws.The second class was about how to carry, advice, some cases, and some real world footage of actual CCW carrier shootings. They also gave us our class certificates so we could complete our application packets.TI already had my money order ready, so I mailed my packet the same day.June 2019Received a large manila envelope in the mail from DPS about a week later. I was excited to receive my shiny new permit so quickly. Sadly I forgot to put my birth state on my fingerprint card, and I didn't completely fill out my money order.But DPS was nice enough to include another manila folder so I just made the corrections and sent it off again.About a week after, knowing how easy it was to reach out to DPS, I used their web page's 'Contact Us' box and asked about my application.Within 10 mins they ask for my application number, and said everything was fine and I should expect my card in about a week.Then within about 4 business days I received it. Below is the overall spending breakdown: * $75 class * $63 Application Money Order (and fees) * $1 PostageFrom class to receiving the permit, overall took about 4 weeks. Seeing how long it took for others, I really lucked out.Hope y'all found this informative! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2LZeJMe

No comments:

Post a Comment