Sunday, April 21, 2019

Using a cane/walking stick as a self-defense weapon?

I am a daily/nightly fitness walker. Things are getting ever more gritty out on the street and I have thought about carrying a cane/walking stick for protection. I like the option in terms of not needing a permit, etc.

- Would I raise suspicions with law enforcement if I carried a cane even though I am 50 and athletic? I understand the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 makes it difficult for law enforcement to question those carrying a cane/walking stick? If stopped (I wear jogging clothes when I walk and I am sweaty, etc.), could I simply say I am carrying the cane/walking stick in order to get home, should my knee lock-up or otherwise begin hurting again?

- Are there good programs out there where people learn how to defend themselves with canes/walking sticks?

- What sort of canes/walking sticks are recommended?

Thank you.



Submitted April 22, 2019 at 12:37AM by MatteoAttenborough http://bit.ly/2KUczOa

No comments:

Post a Comment