Sunday, April 14, 2019

Surprised by AIWB


I've been carrying at the 2:30 position in a StealthGear holster for a few years now and was convinced this would be my setup for the foreseeable future. If the title hasn't already given it away, I'm switching over to AIWB now and I really didn't expect it to work for me. Here are the factors that have helped.I decided to cut out most of the carbs in 2019. I haven't been doing a strict r/keto plan. I didn't take before pics. I don't log everything I eat. I have just reset my relationship with food and I've lost 25 lbs without a great deal of effort. I'm 5'10" and went from 245 lbs to 220 lbs. I'm still overweight, but this change helped my confidence, if not just my belly shape. In case anyone is wondering, I have a traditional dad bod. Because I'm a middle aged dad.I bought a new carry pistol, so I needed a new holster. Steadfast Holsters had exactly my pistol and light combo ready to go so I was able to get it at a good price without any waiting. It's a AIWB holster, but I've used AIWB holsters around at the 2:30 position so I jumped at it. It didn't take long to try it out as it was intended.I watched a few more YouTube videos to understand the concept. The first breakthrough was when I realized that the gun should go somewhere between the crease and the 12:00 position. The next was when I learned about adding a wedge to the holster. I'm currently doubled up on the insole wedges, velcroed together. My next move is to make a more customized wedge out of a yoga block.I wore my holster to work to practice getting up and sitting down. I can't carry at work, but nothing in the employee manual says I can't wear an empty holster. As the day went on, I found exactly where I need the holster to lay for it to be in my Goldilocks position. Adding the pistol after work confirmed it as it concealed into me as good or better than my previous method.I can see how a better belt will help with this new to me carry method. I've been using a RGB ratchet belt for a few years and it is better than a regular belt, but it hasn't retained the rigidity that I need out of a proper gun belt. I ordered a Beltman belt with the internal stiffener and that should be good for quite some time. Even now this carry method is more comfortable than expected. Soon it will be even better.​I share this post because I didn't expect to like AIWB. I didn't think it would ever be an option for me. I didn't see why anyone would prefer it. All of that is changed now. If anyone else is considering AIWB, maybe a post like this can convince you to try it out. I didn't like it at first, but I was determined to push through my discomfort for a day or two. Now I wouldn't want to go back. AIWB is now more comfortable, more secure, and more concealed. via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2X5NeSC

No comments:

Post a Comment