Monday, October 16, 2017

What I learned from my first IDPA match


I’ve been carrying every single day for a few years now. Unfortunately, due to my location there is not a lot of options for formal training outside of introductory to firearms courses.I’ve always wanted to shoot an IDPA match and learned of a local range that held these events on a monthly basis. I joined the range (not required to shoot IDPA) so I could practice more often and now I can shoot 24/7 because it’s a member’s only range with key access. I felt that while IDPA isn’t a substitute for professional training, it would be a great way to shoot on the move in a stressful situation (on the clock, crowd watching) and let me find my flaws.After practicing for a few weeks it finally came time for my first IDPA match which took place this past Saturday. My goal was to complete the match without getting disqualified, and not only did I accomplish that but I surpassed my expectations. However, I also learned what skills I need to work on.I used my P250 compact which is my EDC. I shot in the stock service pistol division.I was using a Daraholsters OWB holster and two OWB magazine pouches.I placed 9th out of 22 shooters. My raw time was much slower than the shooters ahead of me, but my accuracy was on point as almost every target shot was a perfect score. This is including targets that required head shots.I was satisfied with the speed and performance of my reloads. I’ve practiced this skill a lot.I only had two procedure penalties which happened when I stepped over a fault line and didn’t “slice the pie” correctly. Both incidents occurred on the same stage because I became flustered by the course of fire.I did not “neutralize” a target that was 40 yards away, so I need to work on long distance shooting.My only accuracy issues came when shooting offhand. Shooting offhanded is something that I have not practiced and I admit that I need to work on it.Overall it was an excellent learning experience. I became more confident in my abilities but also more aware of my shortcomings. I went in expecting the worst and performed well. The members of my squad were great help with ensuring that I understood the rules.Now I’m going to dedicate more time shooting offhanded and engaging targets outside of 25-30 yards. Usually I shoot at targets at varying distances (7-30 yards) and I have not attempted anything further than that.I’ll be shooting these matches every month as I am now hooked. I wanted to share my experience and I highly encourage all of you to try IDPA at least once. It allows you to shoot on the move and practice reloads.Thank you to everyone here that helped me out with answering questions. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gKj6cJ

No comments:

Post a Comment