Saturday, September 2, 2017

First IDPA match, placed 27th out of 29 - lessons learned


When I started carrying, I also decided to start shooting IDPA. Watching enough InRangeTV has convinced me that match environments are a good way to target training, track progress, and learn lots and lots of things about how I handle firearms, especially the P239 that stays on my hip all day.So I shot my first match today! 27th out of 29 shooters, and I'm dead certain that the folks behind me had better raw times. Overall, this looks like a fine addition to my limited training regime. A chance to shoot on-the-move, with my carry gear, using somewhat realistic shooting technique... A great way to identify weaknesses that I should train to competency.Findings:Slow-fire on a square range has paid off - I finished multiple stages 0 down with only one concerted effort to make up a poor shot.Slow-fire on a square range has certainly not prepared me for fast target presentations, precise shot timings and double-taps. Swinging targets and swinging hostages appear to be my current bane.I can't tell you whether I focused on my front sight at all. My guess is that I did not, but again - couldn't tell during the stages. My other guess is that this'll only matter if they toss a 50 yard shot into a stage.Finishing so many stages at 0 down means I have plenty of room to improve my speed. Sadly, the ranges near me all have "no rapid fire" on their rulebooks, so it looks like I need to up my gas budget.There's some of my gear that doesn't play nice with IDPA rules - e.g., I can't use the 10-round spare mag I carry every day.My sole goal today was to finish the entire match without a DQ. Goal accomplished. Now to figure out how to set a SMART goal around speed and sufficient accuracy... Perhaps "Shoot fast enough to get a -1 on a majority of my targets" and then once there, back off the gas to regain -0's.Match shooting is quite fun! via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2gtlFyK

No comments:

Post a Comment