Monday, June 20, 2016

Hopefully that was the last time I have to draw my weapon...


This happened last year, but I recently discovered this subreddit and wanted to share.We were in the process of moving from the west coast to Texas. We had to go to Oakland for something the wife needed last minute before we hit the road for the big move. All our stuff had been shipped (military) to Texas already so we were driving my crew cab truck. After we ran our errands in Oakland, we decided to top off the truck before we left town. I was standing at the gas pump for about 15 seconds and a gentleman in a hoodie approached me (hands in pockets) and asks, "hey how's it going, are you a cop?" I'm thinking "that's a weird thing to ask someone you just met." I reply, "no sir, I am not a police officer. I am in the military though, if you're wondering about the shaved head."He proceeds to walk slowly closer and closer and he's going on and on about the weather, something about Vegas, whatever. Basically nonsense. Two thoughts cross my mind. 1) his buddy that I haven't identified yet is about to hop into my idling truck and take off with my wife and daughter. 2) or he's just gonna kill me here and then take the tuck. I'm standing with my back to the open door of my truck, he's standing at the back of my truck. I'm not sure what, but my very next though was, "GTFOH NOW!" He makes a play for the open door (stupid, I know, I should have just closed the door before he had the chance) and I draw. The gun was holstered in one of the door side pockets. He got within about 2 feet of me and maybe less than a second from entering my truck. So I feel that I drew at probably the last possible second, lesson learned. He sees the piece, throws his hands up, makes the fastest about face I've ever seen and high tails it outta there. My first thought during his egress was, "he's probably thinking, 'dude said he wasn't a cop!!!'" Clicked off the gas pump and left California for the last time. My military training and SA probably saved me and my family's life, at the very least it saved my truck. And oh by the way, I did not have a CC permit so ironically, I'm the one that committed the felony. Keep calm and carry concealed. Especially at gas stations. Especially in Oakland. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/28Kg1Zk

No comments:

Post a Comment