Thursday, February 2, 2023

Help me justify the price of .38 sp or convince me otherwise


In the style of paul harrel, I am going to be very specific and long-winded so as to avoid potential comments addressing things I have already considered, so bear with me.I have been doing a ton of research about what type of pistol I would be looking to purchase and carry. I know that many people recommend full size autos for first handguns. I understand their inherent benefits, but that is not what I’m looking for.I am looking for a gun that best matches the following three criteria (listed as each being more important to me than the next).Size (a gun that lends itself to the ability to be pocket carried, but not necessarily all the time)SimplicityPrice of ammoPrice of gunCurrently, I would say my top contenders are..38 sp hammerless j-frame (In a perfect world I would probably pick the ruger lcr in 9mm, but having to use moon clips and the possibility of bullets jumping out of the case b/c of a poor crimp *its a known/debated issue with 9mm revolvers)lcp maxsingle stack 9mmI understand that semi-autos are perfectly reliable in todays age and that greater capacity is generally a plus. However, I am perfectly fine with the idea of having, say 5 rounds as in the case of a snubbie.My chances of needing to use this gun to defend myself are already very low and then needing more than 5 rounds to end the threat are even lower. While it is still a very real possibility that both of these assumptions could end up not being the case, I acknowledge that and am ok with it.In the case of a revolver, I really like the simplicity that it brings to the table. The heavy trigger aids in making sure you really mean to pull the trigger in a potential defensive encounter when adrenaline is flowing. You don’t have to worry about racking the slide to clear malfunctions and it is easier to ensure it is unloaded.I don’t believe that I am incapable of safely and properly using an autoloader, but I really truly value the advantages that revolvers offer in the form of simplicity.ConclusionI would appreciate some advice or gun recommendations. I know that this sub is largely going to be partial to autoloaders and I completely understand why. However, I am asking you to try to understand what I am comfortable with and what I personally value in a carry firearm. With all of that in mind, what advice could you all have to offer? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/GgYtaHu

No comments:

Post a Comment