Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Did I act appropriately given the situation I found myself in?


Hey y’all I hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend and were able to celebrate the lives of those we’ve lost. I just wanted to jump on here quick and discuss a situation I encountered in my own apartment on Saturday night. The blinds on the windows were also closed so I was unable to see what was unfolding outside my window.For context: I live in a major city which has seen a major increase in home invasions, armed robberies, etc. much like many other cities. I also live on the first floor (garden level) of an apartment building on a moderately busy street.Story: At about 12:30 AM I had just gotten back from a successful fishing outing and sat down to watch some TV. After a few episodes of Letterkenny I’m checking the time on my phone when I hear a sort of metallic click from the big window in my living room. Then I hear some muffled words from a man before a second MUCH louder snap hit the window followed by a series of muffled bumps on the glass, a series of “fucks” and a woman shouting(I talked with my roommate in the morning and he heard it from his room and thought it was a gun shot in his groggy state). It sounded metallic or maybe like a rock. From there I jumped off the couch and headed for concealment behind the kitchen counter. At this point I’m thinking that there could be someone possibly trying to bust my window out for some reason so I drew my weapon (which I always keep on me even at home) and stood by in low ready. Once I determined that it was probably safe to move I went to my bedroom and opened the window to peek out and try to figure out what the hell just happened but they were gone. This also took place within about 45 seconds or so before it was over so if that helps add some context, great. After spending a couple minutes assessing what might have happened I chalked it up to some drunk folks having a disagreement which just so happened to be in front of my window at the wrong time.Did I act like a reasonable person in this case? Personally I was satisfied that my own training kicked in and I kept my muzzle pointed in a safe direction and finger pointed forward on the frame under that kind of an adrenaline dump. Also happy I didn’t involve myself in the altercation by opening the blinds with a gun in my hand. Let me know your thoughts on maybe what you would have done in my shoes and if there’s anything else I could have done in the moment to maybe respond better.TLDR: Heard a series of loud cracks on my living room window followed by a scuffle at 1:00 am while watching TV, took cover behind the counter facing the window and drew my weapon in case someone was trying to break in. Fortunately nothing came of it.Thanks in advance for your input! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3fBB7IU

No comments:

Post a Comment