Sunday, October 25, 2020

Was shopping for my first carry gun. Finally settled on the G43. Details inside if interested.


I'm a new gun owner. Mostly looking for a carry gun for the upcoming collapse of society and the inevitable parking lot robberies.I want to appendix carry and I'm somewhat overweight, so I need a thin gun to fit between my belt and gut. I looked at many of the 9mm on the market, drove to several different stores to find each gun to test. Here's what I looked at:Canik TP9 SC-maybe the nicest/well-made of all the guns I tried but way too thick and heavy for everyday use. If Canik would have amde a thin, lightweight gun this is def the brand I would have chosen. Felt like a much more expensive gun and the gun comes with a ton of stuff from the manufacturer, like changeable base plates for optics, a holster, extra fiber optic sights, cleaning tool, etc...Felt like a premium product in the hand. They were asking $450 but if you told me it was $700 I would believe you.Walther PPS M2: Also felt well made but was a little too heavy and the heaviness was felt in the slide; it was slightly top heavy, which was the main reason I turned it down. The grip was nicely textured and the little raised area on the grip felt good in my hand. The price was right at $400 at Academy.MP Shield: Nice and thin. Fit my hand very nicely with the flush mag. Mediocre sights. This was in the lead before I tried the 43, mostly because of its thinness. But it was also $100 cheaper than most of its competitors. The main reason I passed it over was it didn't feel quality in the hand. It felt like a cheap gun. I realize it has a great rep for reliability but it feels like it was built to a price.Ruger LC9: OK gun, felt like a giant LCP. I didn't have any feelings towards this gun. It was like an appliance. It was just there. I'm sure it's a fine gun but it left me wanting.Sig P365: I really liked this gun. It has a higher capacity than the 43 and it's pretty good looking. Main reason I passed was price. I could only find this gun at one store and they were asking $650, whereas the Glock 43 was $500. I didn't like it enough more than the Glock to pay $650. I also have some vague concerns re: reliability, although I know those early problems have been worked out. But the Glock is like a Toyota.SCCY CPX-2: Didn't love its look. Felt OK, not great in my hand. But mostly I didn't trust the brand. I never heard of SCCY other than my internet research and it seems like a small time manufacturer and I didn't trust a small timer to make a flawless gun. They've only been around since 2003 and they are made in Daytona, Florida. I just didn't trust a 20 year old Florida company to make a reliable gun.Beretta APX Carry & Nano: Nice guns but they felt very similar. The Nano didn't move me much. The trigger was just Ok. It seemed like the APX was just a warmed over Nano. It was also a little heavy at 20oz empty. The slide serrations were nice, I didn't mind them.Kahr PM9: This was the gun I was most psyched to try out. I was very interested in Kahrs because of their association with Rev. Moon and the Moonies. Also the reviews online always seemed positive. The reviews say it has a great trigger. For me, the trigger was nothing special, in fact, I didn't care for it. The trigger opening is too small, its set at an odd upward angle and the trigger itself had a mushy quality without a clean take up, wall and break. It was really difficult to find a Kahr and there is almost no aftermarket for this gun. It was thin, it felt pretty well made but it just didn't feel like a gun I wanted to live with for the next few years.CZ-P10S: Felt much like the Canik. A premium product in the hand but it too was too heavy and thick.Springfield Hellcat: These were plentiful at all the stores I visited. Felt like decent quality in the hand but nothing special. It also was slightly top heavy. They were asking $500. I didn't choose this gun because of the top heavy nature, the less than premium feel and the fact that for the same price I could get the 43, which I regarded as the reliability standard.So it all came down to P365 v Shield v Glock 43 and I chose the Glock for it's weight, thinness, reliability, reasonable price and large aftermarket support. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2J5zyFw

No comments:

Post a Comment