Friday, October 30, 2020

A quick reminder about situational awareness on the road, and maintaining your options.


I posted this as a comment to a post dealing with road rage behavior that was deleted, and I figured it would be good to make a post as a reminder and open a discussion. This is my perspective, as a has-been cool guy that medically retired from the military after getting blown up one too many times. I spent a lot of time doing direct action work, including many, many convoys, vehicle interdictions, and cowboying armored go-fast trucks in non-permissive environments. That's the grain of salt you should take this with. Shooter's preference, ymmv."Never stop so close to the car in front of you that you can't cut the wheels and hit the accelerator. There are few situations when already on the road where drawing your sidearm and engaging a threat is preferable to driving evasively and/or establishing a rendezvous spot with law enforcement. They exist, absolutely - but this shouldn't have been one of them.Even if I'm actively taking fire - I'm taking evasive action, not getting myself decisively engaged in a gunfight. I have insurance to replace a vehicle, but I can't respawn."I'll also add that I'd much rather deal with a few traffic violations from a particularly unreasonable law enforcement officer than any of the ramifications that come with the deployment of my ccw. I'm just a dude on reddit though, like I said - shooter's preference, ymmv.Tldr: Keep your options open. Don't box yourself in, and remember that it's generally a way better idea to stay in a 2000 pound weapon capable of quickly getting you out of a situation and hit the gas, than it is to depart that safety and mobility to step in the middle of an avoidable two way range. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2HNbfeL

No comments:

Post a Comment