Wednesday, February 6, 2019

My coworkers are intimidated by an empty holster


Thought I would share my story with some like minded people in an anonymous fashion.Backstory: I have been licensed to conceal carry for years now, I moved to Oklahoma from a different state to start a new job at a different company. This company's primary customers are military and government organizations and our building is within line of sight to an active military base.The work campus has no firearm signs posted prominently at each entrance to the property.Being in a new apartment, I have been having a hard time remembering to bring my holster with me when I leave for the day. A few times I have remembered to lawfully "transport" my unloaded firearm in my vehicle, only to forget to bring my holster. Therefore, I have been unable to carry a few times when the need has come to make a few miscellaneous trips after work.As a solution, I decided to simply wear my outer waist band black leather holster whenever I put on pants. When I arrive at work, I double check and make sure the holster is empty. I have been leaving my holster in plain sight as my work environment is somewhat professional and I wanted to still tuck in my shirt as to not look like a slob. This leaves my holster in plain view, but it almost looks like an oversized cellphone holder and hey, it's not illegal or against company policy to have an empty holster in the building. Or so I thought.My manager pulled me aside this week to talk about my holster. For the few weeks I've known him, he seems like a great guy and a good manager. He has only been a manager for a few years and I guess I put him in an awkward spot because someone mentioned or complained that I was wearing a gun holster to work. He apologized to me for having to bring it up, we chat about guns for a bit, and he tries to explain how the holster may intimidate certain gun fearing people around me. He asked me to leave it at home or keep the holster concealed.I know I did nothing wrong and he did not make it seem as if I did anything wrong. I expressed how silly it was to be concerned about an empty holster considering the nearby military base, the type of customers we have, and how many veterans we have working with us but ultimately I chose to just untuck my shirt and continue about my business. All is well, boss is fine with this solution. I decided this was not a battle worth fighting and didn't want to put my boss in a situation where he has to answer to higher ups or human resources.Anyway, that's my story. It must be hard being a new manager and having people complain about trivial stuff like this. via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2HX7jIb

No comments:

Post a Comment