Sunday, February 17, 2019

Less Than Ideal CCW Traffic Stop


On Saturday I headed down to the Salton Sea region of California for a long exposure night photography trip. A few of my destinations were Bombay Beach and Slab City. Wanting to break the ice, I went to Costco got some beer and some chips. Once there, the people their seems like a mix of hipsters, older millennial trying to seem cool, curious college students, its regular riff raff, and a small amount of crazy. Basically, the biggest threat there was the Kale (and possibly cannabis) quiche that someone was offering. So around 6 P.M., I had about two bottles of beer (while handed the rest of the case out) and a turkey club sandwich while photography the unique madness the the people.After walking around for about six hours, I decided to head Bombay Beach and North Shore, both more desolate and abandoned regions of the desert. Just scouting the area out I decided that an abandoned village or gas station was kind of sketchy and decided to CCW, using the pistol from my in car safe. Being abound 210lb and with six hours elapsed, alcohol impairment was not a concern of mine. After a few photo shoots in the abandoned areas, I was leaving when I missed a yield sign that was hidden in the darkness of the desert. The deputy lit me up and I pulled over, on comes the dome light and the wallet is on the dash of the car.Unfortunately, a case of beer in the back of your vehicle while noticing a yield sign resulted in a request for a DUI assessment. I handed the officer my drivers and CCW license, then advised the officer I was armed. Suddenly, the demeanor changes as I think he needed to come up with a plan to conduct a DUI assessment with an armed person. I asked if I could turn off my vehicle and they said yes. The officer asked where I kept my gun and I stated at my 3 o'clock in a OWB holster then I was instructed to take off my seat belt with my left hand.As I unbuckle the seat belt, I am asked to exit the vehicle and assume the position by the sergeant, they had arrived in the interim. I am in the position while being patted down and my pistol is removed, then being instructed to sit down on the side of the road (uncuffed). In addition the search turned up some bottle caps as I opened a few as I was handing them out. However, the deputies accept my explanation and I pass two assessment tests. I and handed by my empty pistol with the loaded magazine +1 being placed in the front passenger side door compartment. I was left with the "advice" to pay more attention as there were a bunch of people waling around in the dark.Edit: removed picture via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2TU8KbT

No comments:

Post a Comment