Monday, February 18, 2019

First Time Carrying Experience was so-so


Equipment: Crossbreed Executive Gun Belt, Tier 1 Xiphos holster with tuckable swivel clip, Shield v1.0 & flat base plate at 4 o'clock.​I like the gun belt and I can also wear it with business casual clothing. I went with Tier 1 for their excellent reviews for my first serious holster. Didn't really know much about having a claw or if I would like it or not. The claw DOES help push the grip towards you which helps with printing. You will need more room in your pants and notch on the belt. It kinda feels a little awkward. I feel the most comfortable at 4-4:30 position. I wear my pants on my hips just for the comfort of sitting without concealing. Tired around the house AIWB and it just wasn't going to work for me.​Not to sound cliche, but it was a very cold winters day. I wore a loose fitting long sleeve and decided to wear my heavy Colombia jacket. The kind you wear out in snow which goes down past your butt. My shirt was large for me and loose. The wife and I were out for a day of errands. First was sitting at the car dealership for a few hours for the regular maintenance. I took my heavy coat off and sitting was OK. When I went to the restroom I used the stall and noticed in the mirror you can kind of see the holster clip and like something was under my shirt when just standing normal. Maybe it was just me and because I knew where to look. My state is about 50/50 pro-gun, but I just did not want to be outed on my first outing. Got back to my seat and put my jacket back on. So my first mistake was having a very warm coat. I didn't take it off going in stores the rest of the day and it was quite uncomfortable. Getting in and out of a small car was also difficult. Sitting and driving with the holster wasn't bad. Like so many posts/youtube say the first time it's hard not to check the gun is there & tug at your shirt. Acting normal was no issue, but I was very aware of the firearm.​So, in the end the large heavy and hot coat made the experience not so fun. I have a cheap kydex holster without a claw and it feels almost like I'm not wearing it, but does print more. I can tighten my belt one more notch with the cheap no-name holster. I'm kind of a stocky build because I bodybuild (5'6" 190lbs) and couldn't get away with carrying while wearing my normal t-shirts because they are tight fitting. All my pants are loose because that's how I like it, but I did wear the baggiest jeans I had. The claw does make it so you need at least one size bigger on the waist.Sorry so long, just my .02 if this helps anyone. via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2GvONF3

No comments:

Post a Comment