Saturday, February 2, 2019

Early morning disturbance


First off, this doesn’t technically pertain to concealed carrying, but it does to self defense and home defense and figured this is the best venue to share in. If I’m wrong, sorry about that.Early this morning, around 5am, I’m woken up by my dogs (two Boston terriers and an 80lb mastiff pup) barking and what sounded like thumping on the back glass doors. They were loud and furious, only time I’ve heard them like that is when someone knocks on the front door instead of using the doorbell. It took me maybe half a second to realize this, and another second to grab my fns9 off the nightstand. As I moved to the door, I thumbed off the safety and switched on the TLR1. My wife even noted how fast I was up and out the door, as she was just sitting up saying “Wha...” by the time I left the room. Grogginess wasn’t an issue, contrary to what would be expected.(Side note, this is my nightstand gun because it’s stupid and I hate it. I was an idiot and bought one with a safety, spent $100 on night sights, only to learn as I became a more experienced shooter that I hate it and it’s trigger sucks and it’s garbage. I spent like $650 on it from Gander too because, as previously stated, I was an idiot. So it isn’t even worth selling at a loss to me. It’s on nightstand duty because it has night sights, I can attach a light to it, and I don’t give a damn about it so if I ever have to use it I don’t care about the police holding onto it for months/forever. And if I ever use it, I doubted the shitty trigger will be noticed in the adrenaline rush.)Back to the story. I get to the door in briefs, gun out ready to rock in roll. Open the door, check back door and front door and see both are secure. My dogs are at the back door going crazy, so I move that way and shine the light around, see nothing. Not wanting to go back to bed unsure if there is someone in my back yard, I switch off the security system and let my dogs outside. I figure two psycho yappers and a mastiff pup will startle any possible threat out of wherever they might be hiding. Instead, they take off to the back fence and start patrolling. Behind the fence is super thick brush and forest, so it’s a safe bet that there was just some wild life creeping around that set them off and the thumping was them thrashing against the door wanting to get out.This experience confirmed something for me, which is that going from 0-100, zonked out sleeping to rock n roll, is not an issue for me. I know it is for some people, but I’ve always been a pretty light sleeper and easy riser. That, and I became accustomed to having to wake up and react/get moving in no time at all in the army. Still, it’s a good lesson to learn, good knowledge to have. That being said, I’m really thinking about saying fuck the fns9 and switch it out for my SP01 Phantom. In a hypothetical world, using the shitty fns9 for home defense was fine. But knowing that I won’t be a half asleep zombie in the event of an intruder/threat, I would be much happier with a gun that I’m more comfortable with and shoot better with.Just wanted to share because I often see comments saying “If something happens in the middle of the night, it will take you 30 seconds to even realize what’s going on, and another minute to fumble with a drawer/safe/whatever and get your gun up and out.” This may be the case for some people, but mileage varies and it may not be the case for everyone. Wanted to provide a public data point on the other side of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I don’t really see how you can learn which side you fall on without experience some kind of disturbance and having to wake up and deal with it. So perhaps erring on the side of slow and groggy is the safest bet until then. via /r/CCW http://bit.ly/2MLqxz4

No comments:

Post a Comment