Tuesday, March 13, 2018

What is the best way to use weapon mounted lights on CCW/home defense


Ive never carried any kind of light either on me or my gun because I always have my phone light and was afraid to use a WML because I'd give myself away. Ive started to reconsider this and have done some research after I realized how hard it is to see in some spots of my home at night.From researching Im finding a lot of people suggesting no more than 400 lumens. Id like to get the TLR-1 in which there is a 300 lumen and an 800 lumen. I also have read that generally you turn the light on and off as you move to avoid telegraphing your movement. This "strobing" combined with lower lumens helps retain your own night vision.Ive also read and tend to agree that blinding your opponent is a secondary effect of the light. Bright light may certainly help take heir night vision away for a bit, but shining a light on an attacker is no guarantee they will surrender.So as I understand at this point, the purpose of the WML is that it is used in a situation where you feel threatened enough to draw but it is too dark to see where 100% where you are going, searching for the intruder (in a home invasion), or of the intruder isnt just drunk uncle Charles again. And this is done by "strobing" as you move until you see a target to which you switch to constant on.As of now though Im also curious about searching for their "friends" but also about maintaining info on the original target. via /r/CCW http://ift.tt/2Gp9vnd

No comments:

Post a Comment