Friday, February 5, 2021

United Airlines Lost My Checked Firearm


Good evening, fellow CCWers. The following is both an unlucky and concerning situation I am in. I flew out of town this week, and checked/declared my handgun with United Airlines. I've done this before, so it was routine until I arrived at the baggage service desk to find that my firearm was "lost." I remained calm, until the baggage service employee called her manager over and was frantically calling several people looking for my firearm. I was asked to file a claim, and did so. I also made sure they were aware that lost firearms (which should NEVER happen) are a security issue, and can warrant the involvement of government agencies. While I was frustrated, it wasn't the clerk's fault for my firearm being "lost in transit." I was told they would follow up with me and deliver it to my Airbnb once found. Just a few moments later, they discovered it had not been removed from the plane during my connection, and had been found in Mexico. At this point, I'm trying my best to keep calm. 36 hours later, I contacted United to check on the status (they had not followed up). I was told that my firearm was still in Mexico, and was going through customs (and to check back the next day). At this point, I am incredibly annoyed with the situation, and was told they couldn't do anything besides add a $75 credit to my account. As someone who carries daily and has not had access to my firearm, this issue has further upset me.My question for the CCW community is what would you do in my situation? Contact TSA? Continue contacting United? Reach out to a different gov. agency? A lost handgun is a serious issue, and United's response has treated it like some missing suitcase. Also, I WILL make sure they refund my flights and/or upgrade my returning flights for free.TLDR; Airline lost my firearm, and it was found in Mexico. They act like they could care less about it, and have offered next to nothing for the trouble. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2MH6RRp

No comments:

Post a Comment