Monday, March 25, 2019

Newly minted firearms instructor here. Crowdsourcing ideas for the best Conceal Carry class in the world!


Hey good folks of CCW!I just recently earned my NRA Pistol Instructor Certification! I just launched my new website and will soon be offering CCW, NRA Basic Pistol and related courses for the Chicagoland area and I want your input in designing the best possible course.I live in Chicago where a 16 Conceal Carry Course is mandated. I am certified to teach these courses on my own and approve students for their CCW permits here in Illinois.I know that many of you have experienced, seen, or heard of terrible instructors teaching dangerous techniques. I hope to be an entirely different type of instructor. I was hoping to crowdsource the best information and techniques possible so that my students will leave with the best possible foundation in firearms safety, handling, defensive tactics, and sporting ability.I don't have a law enforcement or military background and as such, I believe that my weakest area is Use of Force issues and legalities. Although my background is limited, I am a obsessive researcher and I've been fascinated by firearms since a wee lad. I know I have a large amount of information to give over and I want to ensure I don't overwhelm my students with too much information.Although I am in the preliminary stages of designing my courses, I'm thinking of having these course offerings.Basic pistol safety courses (3-4 hours).NRA Basic Pistol Course (8 hours).Conceal Carry Course (16 hours).Do you folks have suggestions regarding what classes to offer, how many people per class, and how much to charge? Also, I work full time as a software developer, so my training sessions will be nights and weekends.Currently, I have a Shield 2.0 9mm and Ruger SR22 that I will bring to classes to have people learn on and gain familiarity with. I also intend to buy a cheap Single Action and Double Action revolver to introduce the various action types.The NRA has its Basic Pistol Course slides and I want to supplement it with awesome slides, photos, and videos (see attached photo). I would also love to incorporate fun and useful training games, tests, and other similar things.Off the top of my head, I was thinking of challenging students to load empty magazines and take apart the handguns blindfolded, if they felt comfortable, in order to give them a more native and natural familiarity with guns as well as increasing their confidence. Any other suggestions?Concealment vs cover games?I had the idea of bringing in straws so people can make spit balls, to understand how the cartridge is only propelled within an enclosed space (the chamber).I intend to have a very participatory classroom setting, instead of a Death By PowerPoint class. I intend to break the class into small groups often, so that they teach, test, and review the material with each other.Honestly, that's about as much as I have right now. I would love to see what you guys think. I really want to ensure that my students have the best, safest, most educational, and most fun class ever. While I know that it's easy to gripe about poor instructors, I am actively welcoming participation by this awesome community to tell me how to do my job. So, if I missed something, or you think or an awesome, different, weird offbeat, or unusual idea, I'd love to hear or see it.Pew! Pew! https://ift.tt/2OunuMI everyone! Stay safe! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2U3gxs4

No comments:

Post a Comment