Sunday, December 5, 2021

In praise of the lowly Safariland 5198


It's so easy to forget about this workhouse of the CCW world, especially in these days of AIWB, double-stack polymer guns, lights, red dots, etc. It's a nicely made paddle holster (it comes with loop-type attachment as well), lined with a thin suede-like material on the controls (left) side of the gun which gives the draw and reholster stroke a smooth feeling, and is relatively inexpensive.If you're new to CCW and bewildered by all the choices, a good OWB like the 5198 is a very good starting place as a holster to use as your individual tastes develop but one you'll want to keep around. Being an OWB holster it's only suitable while wearing some kind of cover garment, but the 5198 tucks the gun so tight to your side that it disappears under even a light shirt. It's also a very comfortable holster, especially if you wear tailored/fitted clothing as only the thin paddle comes between you and your belt - you don't have to buy larger size pants to use it, and it isn't prone to dragging your pants down, especially if you carry a full-size and/or all-steel handgun.I'd put on jeans this morning that frankly fit better about ten holiday pounds ago, when I noticed we were out of drinks. After cramming my usual XD/M Compact in an AIWB holster under my tight waistband, I realized I'd be miserable in short order - that's a good rig for cargo pants with some give, not so much for tight jeans. Got out the Pro Carry II (hello, old friend) and a 5198 that fit it, and off to the store I went. When I got home I wondered "why haven't I been carrying this all along?" via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3ds2Olv

No comments:

Post a Comment