Monday, November 2, 2020

Watch your classmates


I just took my CC class yesterday at a well-established and very professional facility. It was an excellent class with excellent teachers. But... the teachers can’t have eyes on everyone. With everything going on right now there are a lot of people interested in CC, some of whom are not familiar with guns and some who honestly shouldn’t be handling them.It is not just the teacher’s job to watch for bad gun handling. It’s ours too.As we prepared for live-fire qualification, I noticed a father and son who seemed utterly unfamiliar with their weapons, how to handle them, how to load them, how to holster them. I watched as the father put his gun about halfway into his holster, which hung loose and saggy about two inches off his waist, with his fingers on the trigger each time he put it away and when he drew. When I pointed this out, he ignored me.His son similarly left his fingers on the trigger constantly. He would rack with his fingers on the trigger. I even pointed across his father to get his attention and said something and was similarly ignored.I watched so many idiotic mistakes I felt afraid I would end up shot if I stayed next to them. So I warned the instructor to keep his eyes on them. And we’re lucky he did.Each of them were yelled at for various safety violations while at the line, with the instructor in front of us. Thankfully nothing happened.The point of this isn’t that idiots exist or that some people shouldn’t be trusted with guns. It’s that we are seeing a lot of interest in guns right now and a lot of people who aren’t trained are interested. But with large classes, one instructor can’t keep his eyes on everyone and their safety.So we also need to keep an eye out on those people beside us. Make sure the people around you are safe. It’s not always just ensuring that we are following safety rules, but that everyone else is too. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3234lJt

No comments:

Post a Comment