Monday, February 17, 2020

TEXAS Penal 30.07


So I work in Texas for a tech company and spend 2-3 weeks a month in Texas and I have another house in Colorado I consider my main residence that I use for the remainder of the time a month. This morning I got to work and went straight from my car to my office on the top floor of our building. Our administrative assistant comes and gets me 10 minutes later and tell me security is here to talk. I am perplexed as you can image. I am a law abiding citizen and so I go to meet with them.We exchange pleasantries for a moment and they hand me are card. I read the card and it states "Pursuant to section 30.07, PENAL CODE (Trespass by license holder with a openly carried handgun), a person licensed under subchapter H, chapter 411, government code ( Handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly."One of the security detail asks me if I have a firearm on me.I say "Can you see it? But yes I do!"He then asks if I can take it to my car.I say "I have a license to carry from Colorado which has reciprocity here and I just had my dress shirt untucked on the way in from my car to the office." I carry a Sig Sauer P365 in an IWB tuck-able leather holster, so I was not carrying OWB or carrying a super obvious large firearm. I was also wearing a dress vest, so the vest covers the firearm I just didn't have my dress shirt tucked in over the SIG. What constitutes open carry in TEXAS? In Colorado I am pretty confident this would have been concealed. Now am I an idiot for not tucking it in, yes no doubt, but I just didn't remember to have it tucked in but it was not a bold display of firearms.He then proceeds to tell me that I can never carry again in the building even concealed and I should also get a TEXAS CDL.I say "I will not comply with that and unless you have a 30.06 card in your pocket how can you deny me my right to conceal carry in the building? But I will gladly go out to my car and come back in and I will deal with my firearm as is needed."They have no signs posted at any entrances and until I was handed a card I would have never known this was even an issue in the building. I have talked to the property managers who stated that it is Texas law for CCW so they would not intervene with that. So I was greatly perplexed by this situation. Now I am not a complete jerk and do not want to start a fight with someone that is most obviously being told what to do. But I want to know my rights.I know my CCW has reciprocity in TEXAS.I know I can open carry because of my license.If otherwise noted on an entrance or I am informed in writing, a property owner can not charge or accuse me of trespassing if I leave.Can the building security really tell me that I can never carry concealed in the building again?If I am able to carry concealed in the building can I call the police on them if this becomes an issue?My work does not mind that I carry so I am not being banned by my private company to have a firearm in the office, this is being done by the office building, so does the building have to have either cards for 30.06 or a sign to enforce this? Can they just say they now do not allow CCW in the building and they have effectively banned it?Can they selectively decide who can carry and who can not?I normally am very careful about not printing or exposing my sidearm, but because my shirt was not tucked in and my SIG was visible under my vest am I considered openly carrying in an IWB tuck-able holster? via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/3bLMeLy

No comments:

Post a Comment