Sunday, December 8, 2019

Spouse giving me mixed messages?


I recently purchased a pistol after getting my CCW license. I checked with my wife before the purchase to make sure she was okay with it. I didn't buy ammo yet because I wanted to get some training and do some live fire before considering carrying or doing anything else, considering I haven't fired a pistol in about a decade. I have been training with snap caps and getting familiarized with field stripping the gun and all that in the meantime. I signed up for a class and bought a holster and a lockbox for the gun that has a cable to attach in the car or to a reasonably immobile object in the house. I am exercising all the common sense I can in the preparation for eventually taking on the responsibilities that come with carrying.Now my wife is telling me she's uncomfortable and it's throwing me for a loop. She says I'm "changing" because of the gun in the house, and she is very distraught. She said she doesn't want me to have it when we go to visit her family, and I said, "that's fine I can leave it locked in the car." She then said she wouldn't feel comfortable going with me in public if I'm carrying. This is so confusing!I've gone over the rationale of preparedness and the seatbelt and fire extinguisher analogies, etc. Nothing has put her at ease, and I just told her that it's still early in this whole process and that if it made her feel more at ease I would stop talking about it around her and wait for her to approach me when she becomes more comfortable or has any concerns or curiosities.I have made it pretty clear that I am diligent about being safe, learning all that I can, and am not consciously doing anything to undermine her or intentionally causing her grief, but that I am also not giving up my right to carry or own firearms. The purpose is as much for her safety and for those around us as it is for my own assurance.We have (I think) set aside the issue for now, but I just want to know if there is anything I can do to make this situation easier on us or what to look out for. Both of us grew up with anti-gun parents, and I tried to explain to her that gun ownership doesn't exclusively mean I'm going to change as a person. It's just me exercising a right I didn't have until now. It's just new to her, and also to me, but the philosophy behind CCW has always been a part of my mentality.EDIT: Spelling. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2YsVzlj

No comments:

Post a Comment