Wednesday, December 11, 2019

In Defense of RATS Tourniquets


Expecting naysayers, but I don't care much. Thought I'd briefly share why a RATS is part of my EDC, and why (and how) I would recommend others to carry it.In my backpack, I carry a SWATT-style tourniquet, along with a trauma kit that includes chest seals and combat gauze.In addition, I carry a RATS on my body, wrapped around my ankle.The reason I like my RATS TQ is ease of carry. I put mine on every morning as I'm putting on my shoes and then I forget about it - it's even more a part of getting dressed than putting on my gun. It costs me nothing and I have nothing to lose at all by carrying it.I can keep it by my socks/shoes and never forget to put it on. If I'm going to the gym or on a run or somewhere without my backpack or even without my gun, I can still leave the RATS on my ankle or around my waist and at least have *something* that can stop massive bleeding to at least *some* extent.At any given time, I'm more likely to have my RATS on me than my gun, my trauma kit, and maybe even my cell phone.Is RATS the ideal tourniquet? No, everybody knows that other tourniquets like CAT, SWAT-T, etc. have been field tested rigorously. But so what? Is a Ruger LCP an ideal fighting handgun?No, yet, do many people, including on this forum, carry an LCP every day? Yeah. Is having an LCP you carry better than a double-stack fighting pistol you don't carry? Yeah. Better yet, is there anything wrong with carrying an LCP in addition to your fighting pistol, if it doesn't take up any space or add any weight? No.​Thus, there's nothing wrong with adding a RATS to your kit. It's not a Catholic marriage, you're allowed to carry other tourniquets as well, and you should, like I have a SWAT-T within arm's reach 75% of the time. Nobody says you're not allowed to use a RATS to stop or slow a bleed, and then replace it with a CAT or SWAT-T after things are a bit under control. You can also have RATS as a backup. You can even carry one of each kind of tourniquet if you want! Nobody cares...​Stay safe via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2LM7DJ7

No comments:

Post a Comment