Thursday, June 27, 2019

Thoughts after 1 year of having my CHCL


Hello, I wrote this up for my own personal archive, and I figured I'd share it with you all.It’s been one year and seven days since I was issued my A-CHCL. I’ve probably been actively carrying a pistol when legal or prudent for about 9 or 10 months overall. My chosen setup is an IWB kydex holster in the appendix position. I went with appendix because I feel like I have more control over my firearm, can be aware of it printing, and protect it if need be. My firearm is a CZ p10c.I came into this with only a cursory background in pistol shooting, so my experience learning the platform was fresh. I decided that I needed at least 1,000 rounds (I think I may have had 250-500 on my first few days carrying) down range with some guidance before I felt comfortable. I remember being scared of printing and the whole idea of having a negligent discharge. To get accustomed to each step, I began wearing only the holster to become used to the feeling and movements, then I graduated to an unloaded firearm, then to a non-chambered gun. It was a deliberate and graduate progression. After getting accustomed to my weapon, the next hurdle was to carry with a round chambered or not. The arguments against were mainly safety-focused. The arguments for made more sense, especially living in a duty to retreat state; I should never have the extra seconds to rack the slide. Furthermore, I felt that I understood my firearm well enough and how it operates to feel safe with it in the kydex holster that covers the trigger. The final, and everyday thing to be aware of, is printing. Being a leaner dude, I anticipated my gun being so utterly obvious, but in reality it really isn’t. I can wear well-fitted shorts and a tank in the summer heat and it’s completely concealed. My gun-shy girlfriend was 100% oblivious to me having it on me, even if she would hug me. Printing is still something I pay attention to when choosing a shirt for the day, but it’s nothing I spend too much time on. The fear minimizes after carrying consistently for long enough in many situations and realizing that no one is paying enough attention.The next topic to cover when carrying was the legality of each place I went. Really, when I was in college, I only carried going to the grocery store, shopping, hiking. So, not too much variability. As my activities and boldness in carrying broadened, I tried to be aware of where I’d go and if I could have my firearm. It became more complicated if I had multiple stops, but it was easy to adjust after learning my city. My top priority was and is to always be in the legal right. My main problem with this is when I leave my gun in the car if I have to enter an anti-gun store. It’s quite annoying since signs have the force of law in my state, unfortunately. During sports or more active things that may be person to person contact or have a risk of falling, I sometime off-body carry. I’ve carried for hours-long hikes and in many different stores and city areas. I’d say I’m very comfortable as a concealed carrier now.Finally, the main portion of concealed carry is how it changed my perspective. I see it as a great responsibility and take it seriously as one should. My actions and negligence while carrying can result in tragedy. With that said, gun safety is now a guiding principle more than it’s been during backyard plinking sessions. I cannot stand when people around me or in media are mishandling firearms. Having a gun makes me more aware of the subtleties of my interactions, movements, and environment. I notice who is around me and if they look at me, where on me they may look. I’m more careful with my movements and deliberate about minimizing printing. I’m more worried about some type of hysteria erupting if someone were to notice my gun more than anything deadly. As for the environment, I make sure to not put myself in positions or activities that will compromise the safety of myself or others. I avoid bad areas of town and stores known to have issues. Another point that my friend summarized well is how you process what you’re looking at. He juxtaposed ‘awareness’ and ‘suspicion.’ I choose to be aware and deliberate in how I perceive people and the goings-on around me, not suspicious. I think suspicion causes jumpiness and undue negative views of people, which can lead to more, unnecessary and potentially more aggressive uses of even a concealed carrier, but that may be my more defensive bias in a duty to retreat mindset.Overall, the past year or so has been a great and eye opening experience. I love talking about this topic and learning more and more each day. I hope to continue being an advocate and discussing the ins-and-outs of this with people in my life.Carry on! via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2FBHCcm

No comments:

Post a Comment