Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Gear Review: 1791 Gunleather Gun Belt (with pics)


https://ift.tt/2umw3j6 Its pretty damn nice. I'm very satisfied. Would definitely recommend. The details:It was time to buy my first legit gun belt, after some shopping around. I cross shopped all the usual suspects, and was circling around Hanks, Daltech, and Relentless.Came across these guys 1791, and despite being a smaller outfit (I think) their product LOOKED like it was the best option for me. Online, they look like they compare closest to a Hanks Gunner; 14 oz, rolled steel buckle, chicago screws, quality full grain leather. 59$, offered in Black or Brown. They advertise that they use "heavy natural steerhide" which is apparently the good stuff you want. The best thickest part of the hide, tanned and oiled but otherwise not messed around with. If you see the reference pictures for thickness, the belt is actually the thickness of three stacked quarters. Taking a closer look, they seemed slightly BETTER than Hanks, which is what sold me.I specifically wanted a clean, semi-casual look. Something that would work equally well in jeans or in my work appropriate khakis/chinos. I specifically didn't want something so rough it only looked fit for ranch jeans, nor did I want something that looked like a Sam Brown/Police Duty belt. I wanted something that looked like a belt, NOT a gun belt.&nbp;The 1791 hit that right on the head. Maybe the pics didn't do the Hank's justice, but the Hanks gunner appeared in the pics to have just slightly rough edges and a bit of play in the buckle. The 1791 was like the same belt with cleaner edges, smoother cuts and a tighter buckle finish. Like someone assembled it by hand, but took the kind of extra time they'd take if they were making it to wear them self. The unboxing:The box it came in was... meh. A box. Some thick folded paper. I mean, really who cares? Its a box. Just don't be expecting some presentation gift box. It's not that. (They do throw in a leather keychain too. Nice touch.) Inside the box though... Awesome. As soon as you see it, it just looks like a quality product. Not a rough edge to be found. A bit of texture on the backside, like you expect from real leather, but not a hint of anything "unfinished". As far as "gunbeltness", I admit its hard to judge, since this is my first belt, I have nothing to really compare it to, BUT it definitely works as a gun belt. I could immediately tell the difference between the way my gun was being held up by the actual belt, vs the way (in a plain store belt) the gun was being "held up" by the pressure of the belt tightened down lashing the gun to my body. Not much more to say about the belt that the pics don't capture, so, just check out the pics. A bit about 1791 as a seller. Will DEFINITELY do business with them again. (Prob for a brown one.)They have their own site, but they're also on Amazon. 59$ with free prime shipping, 2 days from order to amazon locker. The big thing, which is why I think this belt turned out so nicely, is that these are leather guys and gun guys. Meaning, they aren't a leather goods store that happens to make a holster, NOR are they a gun gear shop that happens to offer a leather model. These are guys where you could say "you're leather workers?" or "you're holster makers?" and either would be "Yes."They are gun guys and seem like the "we wear what we make" type. (Turns out the company name "1791" is a reference to the year 2A was ratified. Needless to say, they are very pro 2A) A few other thoughts. So yeah, they are mainly a holster maker. They offer at least one kydex model and some kind of of nylon or carbon fiber hybrids, but quality leather is their bread an butter. Picture a small independent shop version of the Galco/Bianchi market.I don't do leather holsters, but if someone did, I could see why they'd like these guys' stuff. They look pretty damn quality as well. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2FhpgfO

No comments:

Post a Comment