Saturday, November 3, 2018

Scratching self with fingernails while practicing draw stroke (is this normal? toughen up? do something differently?)


While practicing my appendix draw stroke my fingernails have a tendency to lightly scratch my stomach while wrapping my fingers around the grip and subsequently drawing. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but during practice and dry-fire sessions the repetitive scratching starts to irritate and scratch the area raw. This complicates my training sessions because I have to either cut the session short or find inventive solutions, my current one being to tuck a piece of leather between my torso and the gun to protect my stomach. While this doesn't seem to effect my draw too much, I worry that over time doing this will give me bad habits as a result of subconsciously getting used to it being there and if, god forbid, I do have to draw defensively, I might subconsciously fumble the gun or make a mistake as a result of my muscle memory expecting a piece of leather backing my fingers instead of my pliable flesh.Has anybody else had this problem or heard of it? I'd imagine it's an issue that applies to more carrying positions than just appendix. I feel silly asking people in person because not many have encountered it and when put on the spot will often give vague unhelpful advice such as "you'll get used to it".In case it helps I'm using a Glock 19 in a T. Rex sidecar (yes I know everybody hates this company but I'm broke and got it used from a friend) with a 5.11 nylon gun belt. via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2PD4nmn

No comments:

Post a Comment