Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Advice for synagogue security/CCW


​Background about me: I've been CCWing for about 2 years, never had a personal DGU. My state requires a fairly lengthy process including a class and live fire demonstration to acquire a permit. I practice a few times a year. Less than I should, I know.So in light of the recent events in Pittsburgh, my synagogue decided to take some increased security measures (personally, I don't know why they waited until after something already happened. With school/church shootings being in the news so much, it was only a matter of time until it happened in a synagogue)​Anyway, I joined in on the security committee meeting, and was pleased to find out that there are actually several other CCW holders and that the Rabbi actually supports CCW. I was less pleased when one of the members who (claims?) to be an ex-cop basically took over. He started regaling everyone with bravado stories about how many shootings and stabbings he's been in, which was annoying...but chalk it up to establishing credentials. But some of the stuff he said made me question it all. He insisted that his revolver was superior to everyone else's "automatics," he made sure to show us his gun on an ankle holster (of course, not to be outdone by the guy who keeps his loaded gun in the back of his pants -sans holster and kept pulling it out and muzzle sweeping everyone to show how he would take down an attacker). He also talked in absolutes a lot - this is the best place to stand, this is how an attacker will enter, this is what he'll do, this is how you should alert other people (yell out "code blue"...ok mall ninja). Also things that seem tactically stupid to me...like why would I take up positions near the exits? The last thing I want to do is draw fire towards where people are evacuating, and if the shooter decides to run away, that seems like a positive thing. Let the cops catch him later. Then there was the guy who insisted that everyone should not keep a round chambered. I didn't argue, because I don't expect that anyone will be checking my firearm to see that I'm following their arbitrary rules. Anyway, that was mostly rant..but I do have some questions, and open to practical suggestions for how to safely and effectively CCW in a place of worship, and also how to deal with this bunch of clowns.​One thing that ex-cop wants us to do is to inform the off-duty cop who will be standing by the entrance for the next few months that we are carrying "so he will know who the good-guy with a gun is." Is this a good idea? I always felt that "concealed is concealed" and I don't want to advertise it to anyone. But in a way, it does make sense.ex-cop also said that one person should sit it the lobby, and not follow a shooter into the sanctuary because then he could get caught in cross fire between those CCing inside. That sort of makes sense. But I question the wisdom of having someone in the lobby at all. It seems that all it is an invitation to be the first one shot and out of the game. And If I was in the lobby and somehow he got past me, I wouldn't want to sit there and listen to people getting shot because I'm not allowed in after him.considering the number of CCWers we have (4-5 total, but only 1-2 on any given week), where, in general, would be the best place to station them (also ideally in such a way not to completely miss out of the prayers and sermon).There is a kids play room in the back. I think protecting the kids is a priority, but I also don't think it's likely that an attacker will go looking for them. It seems to me that a shooter will most likely head directly for the sanctuary where there are the most people. So should someone be delegated to sit there?Is posting here a grave breach of op-sec?​ via /r/CCW https://ift.tt/2yGHogQ

No comments:

Post a Comment